Do you know about the first aid burn application? A burn signifies damage in the tissue from getting in contact with hot water, electricity, corrosive chemicals, flames, or radiation. When it comes to treating a burn, it’s essential to determine the degree of injury, whether it is a major or minor burn.
The determination will help you to conduct the treatment accordingly. The treatment applicable for a significant burn case is entirely different from minor burn cases.
Major Burn – What Does It Signify?
There are some primary characteristics for recognizing major burns which include the following:
- Result in leathery and dry skin
- Covers more than three inches of the area or cover the buttocks hands face feet or major joint
- Charred appearance
- Brown, black, and white patches
Minor Burn – What Does It Signify?
There are some specific characteristics for recognizing minor burns which are as follows:
- Skin blistering
- Surface redness
- Not more than 3 inches
First Aid Treatment For Major Burn Cases
For major burns, it is essential to seek a medical emergency. But before you get medical assistance, the first aid treatment is applicable. Steps for first aid treatment include the following:
- It is essential to make sure the victim is safe and entirely out of the danger zone. In case of an electrical burn, it is vital to turn off the primary source of power.
- Check the breathing. Moreover, give rescue breathing, if needed. Proper training is vital for providing rescue breathing to a victim.
- It’s vital to remove the restrictive items from the victim’s body like jewelry, belts, or any accessories near the burnt area. Burning leads to quick swelling.
- Cover of the affected area using a clean bandit for peace of clothes. Moisten it with clean and cold water
- Separate the toes and fingers if feet or hands are burnt. It should be done using sterile, nonadhesive, and dry bandages.
- The burnt area should be not be kept covered up with clothes. But do not remove pieces of cloth stuck to the skin.
- Hypothermia is common if severe burn areas are immersed in water.
- Elevate the area which is affected above the level of the heart
- Shallow breathing, painting, and pale complexion are common symptoms of shock.
First Aid Treatment For Minor Burn
Cooldown the affected area by holding it under clean and running water. Wet and cold compresses can help to subsidize the pain.
Remove tight items like rings and belts from the affected area. Gently remove the accessories to avoid further harm.
Moreover, do not break blisters because they will protect the affected region from infection. In case of a blister breaks, use an antibiotic ointment to clean the area gently.
A moisturizing lotion like aloe vera is the best option for minor burns. After cleaning the burnt area, apply a layer of aloe vera gel for instant relief.
Use a bandage to wrap the affected area loosely. Avoid using fluffy cotton because it can stick to it.
Over the counter drugs can relieve pain quickly. Hence, naproxen, acetaminophen, and Ibuprofen are common over-the-counter relief drugs.